Tuesday, August 20, 2013



Hello everyone! Denise here today to share another fun WCYDW tutorial. This week I’m sharing a quick easy tute called Distress Stain & Gesso Resist. I don’t take credit for coming up with this idea but wanted to share because I’m starting to do more of it.
I’ve seen this tutorial around and have seen different ways of doing it, but I found I liked this one best. It’s great for backgrounds, art journals and cards/tags. So grab those supplies and let’s get going!


What you will need:

GESSO
3 or 4 Distress Stains (coordinating colors)
Mini Mister filled with water
Stamp with a good clear image (you want a picture-no writing or script)
Paintbrush
Heat Gun


 1. Using your paintbrush, 'paint' your stamp with your Gesso. Cover completely.


*Tip-I will tell you that images work the best. Any stamps you use with writing or script do not turn out clear. And the less detail the stamp has the better. Lots of detail in the stamp can make it hard to see the resist.
Be sure your stamp is covered. You don't want ALOT of Gesso but you don't want too thin of a layer.



2. While Gesso is wet, stamp down on your paper firmly. I like to push down on my stamp with a little pressure to be sure Gesso sticks.- Be sure to clean your stamp right away after you’re done!



3. Your image should look something like this-you will be able to see Gesso clearly.




4. Dry with your Heat Gun or let it dry naturally. But be sure it's completely dry before moving on to the next step.




5. Choose at least 3 coordinating colors of Distress Stains. I chose Rusty Hinge, Fired Brick and Peeled Paint. Using your first color go over your entire stamped image and if you feel like it go over the entire sheet/page. Here I go over all the page because I'm making an art journal page, but if you want to do this on a bg for a LO I probably would only do surrounding area.




You will start to see the 'gesso resist'



6. After you finish with your 1st color, go ahead and swipe around your remaining stains. Be creative. There is no right or wrong here. After you achieve the look you want, grab your water filled Mini Mister. Distress Stains are great-they react to water and start to blend nicely. Adding some water also helps the image to 'pop' better
7




8. Let stains blend and dry with heat gun or naturally. Check out that resist look!
8


After your done with your background..go ahead and finish your page, card or tag!
This is my page I did for my journal. I loved the colors and how the blended. The colors reminded me of a beautiful Fall day.
9



I hope you enjoyed this weeks WCYDW!! Would love to see what you come up with if you try this technique!! Have fun and be creative!

Other supplies used:
Manor House Flowers
Black Ink
Brushed Corduroy Distress Stain
Fireworks-Tangelo
Prima Flowers

Denise











No comments:

Post a Comment

~Thank you all for stopping by and leaving your comments! I read and appreciate each and every one!~